Are You Over-cleaning Your Carpets? Learn How Often To Clean The Carpets
Carpets are a popular flooring option in homes and offices, as they provide warmth and comfort underfoot, absorb dirt, and add aesthetic appeal to any space. However, carpets also tend to accumulate dirt, dust, and other debris over time, making them a breeding ground for mites, moths, beetles, allergens and bacteria. Cleaning carpets regularly can help to keep them hygienic, extend their lifespan, and maintain their appearance. But the problem is how often to clean carpets because over-cleaning them can damage fibres.
Here’s What You Need To Know About Carpet Cleaning Frequency And The Risks Of Over-cleaning:
Factors That Affect Carpet Cleaning Frequency
The frequency of carpet cleaning depends on several factors, including:
- Foot traffic: The more people that walk on your carpets, the more dirt, dust, and other debris they will accumulate. High-traffic areas such as hallways, entryways, and living rooms will require more frequent cleaning than low-traffic areas like bedrooms and closets.
- Pets: If you have pets that shed, drool, or have accidents on your carpets, you may need to clean them more frequently to remove odours and stains.
- Allergies: If you or someone in your household suffers from allergies or asthma, you may need to clean your carpets more often to remove allergens like dust mites, pollen, and pet dander.
- Indoor air quality: Carpets can trap airborne pollutants like smoke, chemicals, and bacteria, which can affect indoor air quality. Regular cleaning can help to remove these contaminants and improve air quality.
How Often to Clean Carpets?
According to the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI), carpets should be professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months, depending on factors such as foot traffic and indoor air quality. However, this is a general guideline, and the actual frequency of cleaning will depend on the factors mentioned above. Here are some general recommendations for how often to clean carpets based on foot traffic:
- Low-traffic areas: Carpets in bedrooms, closets, and other low-traffic areas should be cleaned every 18 to 24 months.
- Moderate-traffic areas: Carpets in living rooms, dining rooms, and other moderate-traffic areas should be cleaned every 12 to 18 months.
- High-traffic areas: Carpets in hallways, entryways, and other high-traffic areas should be cleaned every 6 to 12 months.
For homes with pets or people with allergies, carpets may need to be cleaned more frequently. The CRI recommends cleaning carpets every 6 to 12 months in these cases.
Risks of Over-Cleaning Carpets
While regular carpet cleaning is important, you must adhere to the given guideline on “ How Often To Clean Carpets” because over-cleaning can also be harmful. Over-cleaning carpets can:
- Damage to the fibres: Carpet fibres can become brittle and frayed if exposed to too much water or cleaning solution. Over-cleaning can also cause colour fading or discolouration.
- Mould and mildew: If carpets are not allowed to dry properly after cleaning, they can become a breeding ground for mould and mildew, which can cause health problems.
- Increase allergens: Over-cleaning can cause carpet fibres to break down, releasing more allergens into the air.
- Waste money: Cleaning carpets too frequently can be costly and may not be necessary if carpets are not heavily soiled or stained.
To avoid over-cleaning your carpets, follow the recommended cleaning frequency based on your carpet’s foot traffic and other factors. Also, make sure to hire a professional carpet cleaner who uses the right cleaning method and equipment for your carpet type.
It is important to find a balance between cleaning frequency and carpet care to ensure that your carpets remain in good condition and provide a healthy and comfortable environment for your home or office.
If you are unsure about how often to clean carpets, consult with a professional carpet cleaner or the manufacturer’s recommendations. A professional can also help you determine the best cleaning method and equipment for your carpet type and specific needs.
Some Of The Benefits Of Carpet Cleaning:
Professional carpet cleaning is the best way to keep your carpets looking their best and lasting longer. A professional cleaner will have the knowledge and experience to remove even the toughest stains, and they will use the right cleaning products to protect your carpet’s fibers. Professional carpet cleaning can also help to remove allergens and bacteria from your carpets, which can improve your indoor air quality.
- Removes deep-set stains
- Extends the life of your carpets
- Improves indoor air quality
- Eliminates allergens and bacteria
- Makes your carpets look and feel new
If you’re looking for a way to keep your carpets looking their best, professional carpet cleaning is the way to go. It’s a small investment that will pay off in the long run.
Carpets are a popular flooring option that requires regular cleaning to maintain hygiene, appearance, and lifespan. The frequency of carpet cleaning depends on factors such as foot traffic, pets, allergies, and indoor air quality. The Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI) recommends professional cleaning every 12 to 18 months, but this can vary depending on your specific circumstances. If you want your carpets to be thoroughly cleaned and look brand new, it’s important to hire professional carpet cleaners for the job.